Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Betwixt


Don't you want to encounter a virtual space where there are other people like you?
Yeah, me too.
That's what I envisioned this whole blog-business would be about.
I suppose because I've been overly concerned with what people who know me in the real world might think, I haven't been able to divulge my true thoughts.

So I've deduced that no one reads my occasional blog.
That's fine. I haven't written anything that hasn't been read before.

Saw the new Spike Lee documentary, "When the Levees Broke" on HBO last night. I wish that I had something to say...not about the movie itself but about the delayed response to the Hurricane.
I don't feel for everyone who lost a home due to Katrina.
I understand that natural disasters are called such for a reason.
There is nothing amusing or ironic about that old white couple who were vacationing in Tuscany and had just visited Pompei. When they heard the news, (on a tv in a cafe) about the horrors that people who couldn't afford to get out of town were suffering. It seems that they were searching for a connection to the city/people. The trouble is if they found themselves dirt poor, living from paycheck to paycheck they wouldn't be searching for irony.

You know who owns that city?
The people who waded through the sewage Bush was blind to.
The people who stayed.
Spike Lee may not always hit the mark with his films.
Parenthetically: Can anyone clue me into what the message/idea was behind She Hate Me?
He does phenomenal work based on real events. I can't say I'd thought about him as a documentarian in the past but after Levees I felt a swell of respect and admiration for him.
The last half of the "Requiem in Four Parts" is tonight.
The Man and I are expected two friends to join us, (as they did last night).
These two friends speak really freely about the political climate in which we steep. In response to their outspokenness I get quieter than the church mouse who hasn't been to church since he started questioning his belief in god.
Why?
I AM interested in politics.
I read about the news online.
I listen to NPR.
I vote and feel really good about myself afterwards.
Sometimes I just don't feel that I need to add "my two cents" if I agree with what people are saying. Commenting on current affairs is an activity that I feel is best done by reporters and journalists...people who can find the words to speak about something that is often impossible to speak of.


So I'm ending the Getty sponsored summer internship in about a week. I made a friend during the events held for the interns at the Getty who was far more ambitious that I see myself. She networks at every opportunity and doesn't seem to experience an ounce of insecurity in her critical thinking skills. She asked some of the presenters questions that I thought were somewhat awkward. Like, "Do you ever miss working creatively since you've been an art history professor?" to a male professor who majored in studio art during his undergrad and then art history for grad school and then became an art history professor. He seemed slightly unnerved with her questions and for that reason answered them carefully.
I think that I'll miss the old 9-5...well, it's really 8:30-5:30.
So I won't miss waking up early, interrupting my dreams. I live for them.

One hopes that they are good at what they love to do. Or that what they love yields good work.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Brochure Design - Small Business Bible
Brochure Design